The basic idea of the diesel engine hasn’t changed in over 100 years, but like gasoline engines, advanced engine management and emissions systems have been added. Diesel systems are more integrated and depend on each other more than gasoline systems, and the 6.7L Powerstroke is no exception. However, available diagnostic information hasn’t kept up, and focuses on long test sequences that often ignore possible causes in related systems. ATG seminars are built from the ‘shop up’ instead of simply trimming down OEM information, so all of the information is developed and tested during realworld diagnostics. System, code, and symptom coverage includes:
- DPF regeneration tips
- SCR and related component diagnostics
- Production changes & backwards compatibility
- Strategies for low boost & breathing MAF, MAP & TP correlation codes
- False HP fuel system codes
- Best locations to find a failed fuel system
- DualBoost single turbocharger
- EGR, VGT Turbo & Throttle Plate relationships
- Simplified no-start & hard-start diagnostics
- Homemade tools for a variety of procedures
- Tips for avoiding EGR bolt breakage
- Common mistakes to avoid during repairs
This manual and seminar cover the ‘inside information’ you need to avoid testing the long way when flow charts are available, and completely guessing when they aren’t. Our approach looks for high-level indicators to make a better possible-cause list, and then offers multiple simple tests to trim that list as fast as possible without taking too much apart.
This session will talk about strategies manufacturers use to achieve objectives such as predicting/measuring cylinder air for fuel control, fuel trim, catalyst warm-up, engine noise management, torque management, NVH, power enrichment, and more. We will focus heavily on taking an inside look at the actual calibration tables from vehicles of the past and compare them to the current day. We'll investigate many of the functions taking place in the background which will provide some new perspectives for anyone tasked with solving driveability and emission problems on today’s vehicles.
- Solid understanding of engine operation
- Solid understanding of fuel injection and fuel delivery systems
- Knowledge of ignition systems
- Knowledge of emissions controls
- A desire to gain a deeper understanding of scan tool data and how to leverage it.
Every employee, including your superstars, can reach higher levels of performance. All they need is a manager who can coach. Some who will regularly watch, assess, and interact with each employee in ways that will develop and maximize their individual effectiveness. Coaching your employees one-on-one will raise their level of performance making sure you can get the most out of your team. In this class, you will practice coaching techniques like how to ask open ended questions to draw the best from your employees. Owners and managers who want to improve results and get higher performance from their team should absolutely attend.
In this course, you will learn to:
- Improve or develop your ability to coach
- Close the gaps between what you have and what you want in performance and outcomes
- Challenge your best performers to greater levels of success
- Integrate coaching seamlessly into the daily interactions with your people
In a recent survey, given by the Automotive Management Network, 23% of the respondents indicated that getting authorizations was the main cause that limits hours produced in the shop. No authorizations, no work, no hours. How can this be true today with communications being a few finger taps away? We still depend on the phone which is NOT how people communicate today. They text! With Text you Can; Automatically remind customers of their next appointment, Send digital inspections with pictures, video and clear descriptions, Get authorizations in minutes and Take payments.
In this course we will change the way you communicate with your customers using the power of texting for near immediate responses every time. Eliminate the roadblock the phone has become to your success.
Instructor: Eric Ziegler Duration: 4 hours
Since the advent of the computer-controlled car the number of modules on said car keeps growing. Networks are the central nervous system of the modern vehicle. Network communications are essential to the proper operation and performance of safety and infotainment systems. Networks also gave us the ability to program modules and enhance our diagnostic abilities exponentially. However, when there is a communication breakdown, or a module becomes non-responsive, the diagnostics can be not so straight forward. Unplugging every module one at a time can be a time consuming, and sometimes fruitless, task. To make things worse, “U” Codes often leave “you” with little direction. This class will introduce technicians to a simplified, straightforward and logical step by step process to understanding and diagnosing network issues in the modern vehicle. Tooling options and techniques will be discussed. Real world case studies will be used to illustrate these techniques.
GDI vehicles are common in today’s service bays. This class will focus on the high-pressure fuel system. Using a case study format, the two primary areas which will be covered are the high-pressure fuel pump and the highpressure fuel injectors. A strong emphasis will be placed on scan data interpretation. Scope data will also be used to support scan tool data.
Discussion topics include the following:
- Gasoline Direct Injection Overview
- High Pressure Pump Operation
- 2009 Buick Enclave 3.6L HP Pump Diagnosis
- 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L HP Pump Diagnosis
- 2012 VW CC 2.0L HP Pump Diagnosis
- 2015 Ford Fusion 1.5L HP Pump Diagnosis
- High Pressure Fuel Injector Operation
- 2013 Ford Escape 1.6L GDI Lean Misfire
- 2013 Chevy Caprice PPV 3.6L Misfire
- 2013 Ford Fusion Ecoboost 2.0L No Start
A detailed handout will be provided.
HR301 Half-Day Workshop AMI Certified
Description: Let’s look at some sobering facts:
- Unemployment is at an all-time low.
- The talent pool for quality technicians & advisors is shrinking.
- The old ways of chasing and finding potential help aren’t working any more.
Our experience shows that it takes an average of seven months to replace a great tech and we see that number only growing. Waiting for someone to leave to recrit for their replacement gets you “Mr. Right Now” in desperation instead of “Mr. Right.” Like Apple and Google, you need the best talent banging down your door every day. This class teaches you how to become your own Talent Magnet and get exactly that.
In this course you’ll learn:
- The mistakes you’re making in your hiring process right now.
- What the top 1% need and want from a company to come on board and stay.
- Strategies to turn your business into a “Talent Magnet”.
You will stop chasing top talent and start attracting them. You and your amazing team will become a
Talent Magnet and bring the cream of the crop right to your front door.
This 2019 J2534 class is designed to have some advanced and unconventional information to satisfy even the most seasoned of module programming techs as well as take a technician that has never flashed a module and prepare them to successfully flash the most common vehicles, and arm them with the troubleshooting skills to tackle even the peskiest of module programming scenarios. We will cover all the equipment and software requirements of today. This class will prepare you for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai and Kia vehicles. We will cover some good practices, and the limitations of the J2534 platform. This class will also touch on “Right to Repair” information and how it pertains to module flashing in the field. So put your J-Box where your mouth is and buckle up for a full day J2534 crash course!
Finding A Balance Between Policy & Performance
You need your employees to run like a well-oiled machine, because time is money, and money is, well... money! As a former shop owner and the current CEO of internet marketing agency Autoshop Solutions, Danny Sanchez has a lot of insight on how to align the gears of your business to maximize your employee productivity. Between team building and growth opportunities, to providing employees the tools to be effective, learn to get out of your employees’ way so that you can improve the morale and efficiency of your team.
*Course objective is to take the pressure-transducer novice to a whole new level. The goal is for someone with lab scope/engine mechanical operation knowledge, to gain the ability to capture pressure waveforms (from the intake manifold/tailpipe and in-cylinder) and be able to use the information to make diagnostic-decisions. The course will cover transducer functionality with both absolute transducers as well as delta transducers. It will touch on the benefits and characteristics of both types of transducers and how they can be used to gain an edge. Diagnostic-approach will be carried out using real world examples and actual case studies from my own library. Attendees leave with confidence to invest in the tooling to perform pressure testing and analysis to improve accuracy and efficiency.
Push Button Ignition is very common on today’s vehicles. These systems can be broken down into 3 broad categories: Immobilizer, Steering Lock and ACC/Run/Crank Relay Control. This class will assist technicians in developing a diagnostic routine for handling the common complaint of “I press the button and nothing happens”. The instructor will emphasize system understanding, and scan data interpretation. Tools used to check for Low Frequency and Radio Frequency wireless transmissions will also be discussed.
Discussion topics include the following vehicles:
- 2011 Nissan Maxima
- 2012 Toyota Camry
- 2018 Ford Edge
- 2006 VW Passat
- 2015 Ford Mustang
A detailed handout will be provided.
- Course skill level: Intermediate to advanced
- Audience: All automotive aftermarket technicians
- Prerequisites: Proficiency with scan tool; understanding electrical diagnostics
- Duration: 4 hours
ADAS (Automated Driver Assist Systems) are becoming common on today’s vehicles as we move closer to fully autonomous vehicles. These new systems will require that shop owners, technicians and service advisors educate themselves and their customers on how this technology works. In this course Delphi Technologies' technical trainers will cover:
- Overview of Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Monitor & Adaptive Cruise
- Hardware overview (RADAR, LIDAR, smart cameras and ultrasonic sensors)
- Camera / sensor aiming equipment, windshield and paint concerns, etc.
- ABS, electronic throttle and E-steering interactions / customer concerns
- Static and dynamic camera and radar sensor calibrations requirements and tips
- Diagnostic tool data interpretations, service do’s and don’ts and case studies
Reinvent your marketing strategy and drive online success with this crash course in turning potential customers into the phone ringing and cars in your bays. In this can't-miss class, Danny Sanchez will connect the dots between your website, all the latest trends, and all the performing online marketing tools you should be using to turn shoppers into customers. Shop owners around the country are keeping their technicians busy and the bays full by doing more marketing online the right way, don’t miss this powerful session.
With longer intervals between services for today’s vehicles, it is imperative for shops to do complete inspections to assure the safety of the vehicles on the road. Paper inspections have been the way of doing inspections for decades requiring translating tech writing and remarks, copying it into the management system, and explaining the “why and what” to the customer. Common tablet technology transforms the inspection process into a digital tool that eliminates copying and translating while adding pictures and video that make it clear to your customers what needs to be done. Additionally, a permanent digital record of each inspection is kept for future reference to prepare the customer for future work and needs. All the while saving your shop time during the process. During this course we will cover all the advantages that digital inspections will give your shop, including how to download and customize your own inspections and deliver them to your customers via text message while increasing your average repair dollars by up to 39%
If your Snap On scope leads are pristine and still in the bag, you are not alone. If you’re relying on the component test function on your Snap On scope because you struggle with set up, you’re not alone. Today’s scan tools are powerful but there are times when a scan tool is not enough. Not for us, we are professionals and demand to be confident that our recommendation will repair the vehicle. In this class, you will learn to how to acquire the captures needed to confidently diagnose the vehicles in your bay using your Snap On scope. Attendees are required to bring their Snap On Scopes.
This Hybrid seminar focuses on the proper techniques necessary to diagnose, repair, service and make money on Hybrid vehicles.
Class consists of:
- Safety training
- DVOM usage (CAT III certified)
- Megohmmeter usage
- Hybrid diagnosis using scan tools
- Scan tool shootout (Enhanced and OEM)
- Labscope measurements on Hybrids
- Using low and high amperage clamps on Hybrid systems
- Testing high voltage batteries
- Regenerative braking system
- AC to DC inverters and DC to DC converters
- Electric assist steering
- Common service procedures; oil changes, cooling systems, tires, brakes etc.
- Internet and OEM websites
- Real world testing
Using case studies of repaired vehicles & actual part cutaways this class demonstrates how VVT systems work, what kinds of problems they have, and what can cause these systems to set codes. The focus is a diagnostic routine that provides a flow of testing steps with technician checkpoints along the way.
- Types of VVT systems
- Using scan data first
- Correlation and performance codes
- Finding problems without disassembly
- Case studies for mechanical problems, control problems, oil problems & electrical problems
- Cheat sheets for successful scope setups
- Testing phasers, actuators & solenoids
- What to do when codes return
- Useful specifications
- Flow of diagnostics chart that guides you to what to do next
Technicians need a trusted process they can rely on to uncover VVT problems & the routine highlighted will lead you to a successful conclusion for Asian & Domestic vehicles.
This course is a series of finely tuned exercises and discussions using wiring diagrams to achieve two goals:
- Provide extremely effective techniques for improving your wiring diagram circuit and system reverse engineering skills.
- Each exercise is also designed to illustrate powerful learning tools, behaviors and techniques for creating a knowledge building framework which can be applied to all situations.